Lindt, the Swiss-based chocolate and confectionery group, identified a gap in the UK market for a premium but comfortably priced contemporary chocolate collection for formal gifting, aimed at consumers aged 35-55.
The British target audience is discerning – wanting delicious chocolates wrapped in chic packaging to proudly provide as gifts for occasions like Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and dinner parties. We needed to deliver designs for this new collection, to be known as the Master Chocolatier Collection, whilst working within Lindt’s existing identity guidelines to ensure brand consistency for easy recognition by consumers.
It’s an elegantly understated pack that perfectly meets the design brief. A simple, uncluttered white background provides the backdrop for the ribbon device that echoes the ‘L’ in Lindt. The pink colour catches the eye and complements Lindt’s existing gold colour. Furthermore, the protective shrink wrap plastic was placed inside the box rather than outside, as research showed this makes the product look more premium and giftable.
The packaging design was critical, as this is one of the main influencing factors in the shopper’s purchasing decision. Against a static market, the Master Chocolatier Collection is a UK success story.
• Main driver of Lindt’s +2.3pt Formal Gifting market share growth*
• Lindt is fastest growing company in Formal Gifting category market share*
• Sales value target smashed by +48%**
• Distribution targets exceeded by +9% (144g) and +27% (305g)**
• Design fees recouped in just 16 weeks, based on sales value**
* IRI Total Coverage MAT w/c 28 February 2015
** Lindt internal data 2013-2015
• Winner: DBA Design Effectiveness Awards
• Winner: Transform Awards Europe
• Finalist: The Drum Marketing Awards