Acclaimed hair stylist and colourist Josh Wood is one of the beauty industry’s foremost trendsetters – his work has shaped the international beauty landscape for nearly two decades. His creative techniques in hair colour have led to an enviable client base, and he’s credited with inventing the ‘hyper natural’ look, making grey ok, and ‘surf kissed’ with lighter ends and darker roots.
Marks & Spencer Pure Beauty Stores offer carefully curated beauty products, bringing niche and cult brands to customers. The retailer collaborated with Josh Wood on an exclusive range of 13 products, aimed a women with colour-treated hair, including shampoo, conditioner, plus innovative colour touch up wands to treat hair roots. Our contribution included range naming, 2D design and sourcing pack structures.
We spent a lot of time with Josh at his Atelier to get a real understanding of his vision to create an accessible yet premium product. Josh has a calm, honest reassurance as he works, which we wanted to capture on pack. We used a fresh, spring-like colour palette, a contemporary font and a restrained, clean design. The “Guardian of Colour” strap line reflects both Josh’s expertise and the power of the product to protect coloured hair.
With little in the way of additional marketing support, the packaging design was vital in helping M&S achieve its year one objectives. And met them they did!
• Original sales value target smashed by +285%
• Sales targets revised by +222% – and revised target bested by 20%
• Accounts for 40% of total M&S haircare sales – exceeds objective by 10%
• Distribution surpasses target by +76%
• Return on design investment in just 2 weeks
And this is all under the context that the rate of UK haircare market growth has declined steadily since 2012.
• Finalist: Pure Beauty Awards
• Winner: DBA Design Effectiveness Awards
• Winner: Transform Awards Europe
• Winner: Vertex Awards
• Finalist: The Drum Marketing Awards